Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

We worked too hard for too long, now it's time to slow down!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Judy’s Fourth (and last!) Monthly Summation

It was good to catch up with friends from England and Europe. Saw some great places, and places we would not normally see on the tourist routes.

We have had lovely calm seas, together with nice weather, to finish of our trip and going through the Suez Canal was a great experience. Like everyone we have spoken to, or read about, who has done a trip like this, you do talk about home. We tried not to do it until the last minute so that we wouldn’t make the trip go quicker in our minds.

Even now, four months after we started, it is still a thrill when a pilot climbs aboard, or when we enter a new port.

Would I change anything? Nothing, it was all great. The crew was friendly, the vessel was comfortable, and the places we visited were exciting. The joy of living on a working ship cannot be explained easily, you have to experience it to understand.

Would I use another freighter for travel? YES, it is very relaxing and you get to see places and workings you normally would not see.

Come on the next adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug’s Fourth (and last!) Monthly Summation

I don’t quite know where to begin with this. To be able to catch up with our friends from the other side of the world was terrific. We visited some lovely places that would never have featured on our agenda if we hadn’t been on this vessel.

The predicted rough seas didn’t eventuate along the coast of Spain, or in the Mediterranean Sea, or in the Indian Ocean. In fact it was so calm it was almost boring! Just kidding, it really topped our trip off for us; not having to contend with a rolling ship meant we could swim in the pool and not spill our drinks!

Italy was it’s usual self, entirely unpredictable, but stunningly beautiful. The people were friendly and very obliging, and the places we visited were unforgettable.

The Suez Canal was a real eye opener. How these Egyptian people live in a desert like this is almost beyond belief. The military build up along the banks was a bit disconcerting, but I guess if you live in uncertain times and similarly troubled countries border you, you have to be prepared.

The Red Sea was like a mill pond, enchantingly serene. The sunsets have to be seen to be believed.

The proliferation of vessels when we passed through the Straits of Malacca was unbelievable. How pirates manage to do their dirty deeds when there is so much traffic defies comprehension.

As for the whole trip, I am not sure if I can muster enough words to describe how much I (we) have enjoyed it. The ship was superb. Spotlessly clean on the inside, and as you would expect from a working vessel, naturally grubby on the outside decks. This added so much to the enjoyment. I will never be concerned when a bit of grease gets on my clothes again. The Officers and Crew were fantastic. I class these people as my friends now, and I can confidently say they were all good friends for the entire four months I have shared their lives with them. The accommodation and meals met or exceeded my expectations, and the service from our steward was exemplary. Never could I have imagined how much I would enjoy the entire experience. I knew it would be different, what I didn’t know was that the only difference was in the lack of five star service (compared to how we usually travel), but this was made up for by six star friends and the attention they lavished on us. I thought I knew that at times it would be boring, how wrong could I be. It was so far from boring I lack the words to describe it. Every day was filled with expectation, and every day left me craving for more of the same.

And now, the final words.

Could I have kept going?.........YES, forever!

Would I change anything?.........NO, it was perfect!

Would I do it again?…….YES, and you should too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home